Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Fighting a Losing Battle...

Ever since he was old enough to understand the phrase "when I grow up...", Jacob has wanted to be a firefighter. Frankly, I have not done much to encourage this at all, because the idea of him running into burning buildings terrifies me. I keep making other, less dangerous, suggestions that he completely ignores. I have been hoping that he only wants to be a firefighter because every little boy wants to be either a firefighter or a policeman, and wishing that he will grow out of it.
Well, lately it seems that my wish might be coming true. He has been showing a definite interest in other professions. Unfortunately, however, his motives are not pure. As he has been learning the value of money by saving his own earned money to buy things he wants, he has suddenly become much more interested in how much money various professions earn. And suddenly he wants to become a doctor. It's funny (not really) how in first grade these kids are already aware of which professions are traditionally the "rich" ones.
Don't get me wrong, I would be unbelievably proud if Jacob became a doctor...it's just that I know that Jacob still really would rather be a firefighter. How do you teach your child the value of money, while still de-emphasizing its importance in the big scheme of things?
Here is one of the ways I am trying to do that:

Sigh. This picture is from our visit to the local fire station during a Cub Scout meeting. I still really really don't want him to grow up to be a fireman. But I will always encourage him to follow his dreams and not to base his decisions on worldly things!

2 comments:

Christy Brockman said...

Awwhhh....it's so hard to let them be themselves sometimes, because we worry over every choice they make. Don't stress over it....you are doing great! Maybe you can point out the "service" benefits of being a doctor and a fireman! XOXO

Stacy said...

Thanks, Christy! I've been missing updates to your blog--you're supposed to be better at this than me! :)